Picture postcards of various Santa Barbara area scenes, acquired over the years from various sources. Includes Santa Barbara and Montecito residences and gardens, harbor and beaches, foothills, bird’s eye views, Santa Barbara Mission, and former Riviera campus of Santa Barbara College (now UC Santa Barbara).
Also known as the Pearl Chase Collection, focusing on Santa Barbara history in the 20th century. Included are papers relating to several hundred local organizations (especially pertaining to architecture, gardens, housing, land use, and planning), as well events such as Fiesta, Chase family papers, and numerous photographs of local scenes.
The University Archives photographs collection is comprised of photographs culled from other collections in the University Archives. The dates of the photographs range from the 1890s to the present, with the majority being black and white photos from the 1920s and 1950s. The subjects covered include all aspects of the UCSB campuses and academic and student life.
Student newspapers from the University of California, Santa Barbara and antecedent institutions. Includes the following titles: Daily Nexus (1971-), UCSB Daily Nexus (1970-1971), El Gaucho (1934-1970), El Gauchito (Summer sessions 1935-1965), Roadrunner (1930-1934), Stray Feathers (Summer sessions 1932-1934), and The Eagle (1923-1930).
The Santa Barbara Gazette (Santa Barbara, California) was published from May 24, 1855 to May 15, 1857, by W.B. Keep & Co. The first newspaper in Santa Barbara County, the Gazette came out weekly with a section in English and a section in Spanish, from May 24, 1855 to December 20, 1855. The Spanish section was discontinued after 1855. Coverage includes national and international affairs, as well as state and local politics and events in Santa Barbara and the surrounding region, just five years after the incorporation of the city in 1850. In total, 104 issues were published in two volumes, 52 issues each. All 104 issues are reproduced here, from a bound presentation copy to the Santa Barbara Public Library, with the inscription: “Charles Fernald presentation inscription to the Public Library of the City of Santa Barbara this 31st day of Aug. 1891.”