Student newspapers from the University of California, Santa Barbara and antecedent institutions. Includes the following titles: Daily Nexus (1971-), UCSB Daily Nexus (1970-1971), El Gaucho (1934-1970), El Gauchito (Summer sessions 1935-1965), Roadrunner (1930-1934), Stray Feathers (Summer sessions 1932-1934), and The Eagle (1923-1930).
The Santa Barbara Gazette (Santa Barbara, California) was published from May 24, 1855 to May 15, 1857, by W.B. Keep & Co. The first newspaper in Santa Barbara County, the Gazette came out weekly with a section in English and a section in Spanish, from May 24, 1855 to December 20, 1855. The Spanish section was discontinued after 1855. Coverage includes national and international affairs, as well as state and local politics and events in Santa Barbara and the surrounding region, just five years after the incorporation of the city in 1850. In total, 104 issues were published in two volumes, 52 issues each. All 104 issues are reproduced here, from a bound presentation copy to the Santa Barbara Public Library, with the inscription: “Charles Fernald presentation inscription to the Public Library of the City of Santa Barbara this 31st day of Aug. 1891.”
The Carpinteria Chronicle (Carpinteria, California) was first published in 1933 under the ownership of W. L. Davis Jr. The paper was sold to Ann Waynflete of Tulare County, California. The 141 newspaper issues held by the UC Santa Barbara Library range from February 1933 to December 1934, and from March 1938 to February 1939. Coverage includes school segregation in the Carpinteria Valley in the 1930s, and the construction of the Aliso School for Mexican children in 1933-1934. Linn Unkefer, of Carpinteria, California served as editor of the Chronicle from 1933 until its change of ownership.